Interesting facts
Brenden D. Chase
2006-05-10 22:32:26 UTC
While everyone is grumbling about the missing features on the $499 priced
PS3, I found the old spec sheet from last year, and notices some interesting
stuff.

The wireless option, according to the official spec sheet has PSP in
parenthesis. Is that to say that it was only a wireless connection to the
psp, and not an actual wireless to wireless router connection??

also, there was never any mention of PS2 or PS1 memory card slots. Although
I know at one point there was a picture of under the front lid that had two
slots(or one, I cannot remember) for those cards.

Also, the Ethernet ports were listed as 1 input and 2 output. I'm assuming
they did away with the output ports. Maybe they were planning something
else, and decided they didn't need them anymore??

The old spec sheet also tells of a 'ton' of different disc formats that the
drive will read, and the new press release only has the standard
functionable ones. blu-ray, dvd rom, cd rom, and sa-cd rom

just some stuff I came across.
r***@hotmail.com
2006-05-11 01:34:07 UTC
Brenden, systems go through revisions before they are released and spec
sheets shouldn't be taken as promises. Although fanboys love to do
taunt dances with non-finalized specs. The PS3 WAS going to have
output to two monitors. I believe Sony replaced that with the PSP
acting as a second monitor, as they showed in their F1 racing game.

- Richard Hutnik
Brenden D. Chase
2006-05-11 03:17:47 UTC
Post by r***@hotmail.com
Brenden, systems go through revisions before they are released and spec
sheets shouldn't be taken as promises. Although fanboys love to do
taunt dances with non-finalized specs. The PS3 WAS going to have
output to two monitors. I believe Sony replaced that with the PSP
acting as a second monitor, as they showed in their F1 racing game.
- Richard Hutnik
You don't have to explain to me that systems go through revisions, I'm not
an idiot.

The PSP thing hopefully turns into a functionality like some games use on
the DS. That would be pretty darn cool.

How about SOCOM 5 using it to display where your teammates are on a map.
That would be hot.
r***@hotmail.com
2006-05-11 13:31:33 UTC
Brenden, I was conversing with you, not explaining. Besides that, it
was also addressed to the fanboys out there who hype this or that
before the dust settles.

- Richard Hutnik
Fred Liken
2006-05-11 23:11:01 UTC
Post by r***@hotmail.com
Brenden, systems go through revisions before they are released and spec
sheets shouldn't be taken as promises. Although fanboys love to do
taunt dances with non-finalized specs. The PS3 WAS going to have
output to two monitors. I believe Sony replaced that with the PSP
acting as a second monitor, as they showed in their F1 racing game.
Was the PSP acting as a second monitor, or was it running a client program
that was rendering that on the PSP?
Brenden D. Chase
2006-05-12 00:26:28 UTC
Post by Fred Liken
Post by r***@hotmail.com
Brenden, systems go through revisions before they are released and spec
sheets shouldn't be taken as promises. Although fanboys love to do
taunt dances with non-finalized specs. The PS3 WAS going to have
output to two monitors. I believe Sony replaced that with the PSP
acting as a second monitor, as they showed in their F1 racing game.
Was the PSP acting as a second monitor, or was it running a client program
that was rendering that on the PSP?
I don't think any of us know the answer to that. Unless of course one of us
was the guy standing there running it. And that I doubt.
Fred Liken
So, your answer is a quite inane "I don't know"?
Brenden D. Chase
2006-05-15 21:46:08 UTC
Post by Fred Liken
Post by Brenden D. Chase
Post by Fred Liken
Post by r***@hotmail.com
Brenden, systems go through revisions before they are released and spec
sheets shouldn't be taken as promises. Although fanboys love to do
taunt dances with non-finalized specs. The PS3 WAS going to have
output to two monitors. I believe Sony replaced that with the PSP
acting as a second monitor, as they showed in their F1 racing game.
Was the PSP acting as a second monitor, or was it running a client
program that was rendering that on the PSP?
I don't think any of us know the answer to that. Unless of course one of
us was the guy standing there running it. And that I doubt.
So, your answer is a quite inane "I don't know"?
would you rather I have just ignored the question was asked?? Doesn't look
like anyone else here has your answer. My 'guess' would be that it was
running as a second monitor. As rendering the scene on the PSP would take
some amount of code, that the developer cannot count on the gamer having the
space for. Probably not too far off from a live video pod cast... if that's
possible.
Doug Jacobs
2006-05-11 21:39:30 UTC
Post by Brenden D. Chase
also, there was never any mention of PS2 or PS1 memory card slots. Although
I know at one point there was a picture of under the front lid that had two
slots(or one, I cannot remember) for those cards.
Without the PS1/PS2 memory card slots, isn't backwards compatibility sort
of difficult? Yeah, it'd be cool if you could get PS2 games to save to
the HDD, but...
Post by Brenden D. Chase
Also, the Ethernet ports were listed as 1 input and 2 output. I'm assuming
they did away with the output ports. Maybe they were planning something
else, and decided they didn't need them anymore??
I'm still confused as to why a game/media console needs more than 1
ethernet port. It's a client device, not a router nor a firewall. I
guess you could use a RJ45 port for some proprietary interconnect thing -
such as connecting 2 or more PS3s together, but you'd really be better off
with firewire wouldn't you? It's cheaper and faster (though you don't get
the distance...)
Brenden D. Chase
2006-05-15 21:49:35 UTC
Post by Doug Jacobs
Post by Brenden D. Chase
also, there was never any mention of PS2 or PS1 memory card slots. Although
I know at one point there was a picture of under the front lid that had two
slots(or one, I cannot remember) for those cards.
Without the PS1/PS2 memory card slots, isn't backwards compatibility sort
of difficult? Yeah, it'd be cool if you could get PS2 games to save to
the HDD, but...
I'm not sure what the solution to that is. I'd imagine those of us that
bought the HDD for PS2 would be able to transfer the files off the HDD onto
something else. (without getting technical)
Post by Doug Jacobs
Post by Brenden D. Chase
Also, the Ethernet ports were listed as 1 input and 2 output. I'm assuming
they did away with the output ports. Maybe they were planning something
else, and decided they didn't need them anymore??
I'm still confused as to why a game/media console needs more than 1
ethernet port. It's a client device, not a router nor a firewall. I
guess you could use a RJ45 port for some proprietary interconnect thing -
such as connecting 2 or more PS3s together, but you'd really be better off
with firewire wouldn't you? It's cheaper and faster (though you don't get
the distance...)
There was once talk of the eyetoy becoming an IP peripheral, just attached
to the network with an IP and could be accessed from anywhere. Probably
wont happen though.